Digital South Asia Library - Schwartzberg Atlas
14 Dec 2006
The Digital Library of South Asia, University of Chicago, IL, US.
"The Digital Library of South Asia, at the University of Chicago, has just mounted a digital version of Schwartzberg's invaluable historical atlas [Schwartzberg, Joseph E. A Historical Atlas of South Asia. 2nd impression, with additional material. New York ; Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1992. - ed.]. See [the URL below]. We're still calling this a trial release. A number of smallish improvements will be added over the next few weeks. Some major improvements involving a GIS interface should be available before the middle of next year. - jn."
* Front Matter; * Map and Photographic Plates (I The Physical Stage, II Prehistory, III From the Vedic through the Classical Age, IV Kingdoms and Regional Cultures of the Eighth through the Twelfth Century, V The Period of the Delhi Sultanate, VI The Mughal Period, VII The Contest for Power and the Establishment of British Supremacy, 1707-1857, VIII Imperial India and the Growth of National Identity, IX Post-Independence Political History, X Modern Social and Cultural Evolution, XI Modern Demographic and Economic Evolution, XII Settlement Pattern, XIII References for Detailed Regional Study, XIV A Geopolitical Synopsis)
* Text (I The Physical Stage p. 151, II Prehistory p. 155, III From the Vedic through the Classical Age p. 161, IV Kingdoms and Regional Cultures of the Eighth through the Twelfth Century p. 186, V The Period of the Delhi Sultanate p. 194, VI The Mughal Period p. 203, VII The Contest for Power and the Establishment of British Supremacy, 1707-1857 p. 210, VIII Imperial India and the Growth of National Identity p. 215, IX Post-Independence Political History p. 224, X Modern Social and Cultural Evolution p. 230, XI Modern Demographic and Economic Evolution p. 241, XII Settlement Pattern p. 250, XIII References for Detailed Regional Study p. 252, XIV A Geopolitical Synopsis p. 254, Addenda and Corrigenda p. 263, Bibliography p. 283).
[The interactive map viewer requires an ADOBE Flash Player. - ed.]
Internet Archive (web.archive.org) [the site was not archived at the time of this abstract]
Link reported by: Jim Nye (jnye--at--midway.uchicago.edu), forwarded by h-asia--at--h-net.msu.edu
* Resource type [news/comments - documents - study - corporate info. - online guide]:
* Publisher [academic - business - govt. - library/museum - NGO - other]:
* Scholarly usefulness [essential - v.useful - useful - interesting - marginal]:
* External links to the resource [over 3,000 - under 3,000 - under 1,000
- under 300 - under 100 - under 30]: under 30
Please note that the above details were correct on the day of their publication. To suggest an update, please email the site's editor at firstname.lastname@example.org